Wednesday, February 11, 2009

When On Google Earth, No. 4

Heather Baker is the winner of When On Google Earth, No. 3. Since she's among the unblogging ones, her contribution, When On Google Earth, No. 4, is here:



Q: What is When on Google Earth?
A: It’s a game for archaeologists.

Q: How do you play it?
A: Simple, you try to identify the site in the picture.

Q: Who wins?
A: The first person to correctly identify the site, including its major period of occupation, wins the game.

Q: What does the winner get?
A: The winner gets bragging rights and the chance to host the next When on Google Earth on his/her own blog!

Like so much in archaeology, this game comes to us from our methodological cousins in geology. Shawn Graham adopted their game, and modified it for our use at whenonge #1. Chuck Jones had the first correct answer, and then hosted whenonge #2. The mysterious and elusive PDD got #2 right but dropped the ball and never claimed his prize, so Chuck struck back with whenonge #2.1. Paul Zimmerman got the correct answer to #2.1 and hosted whenonge # 3. Heather Baker, as I said, won that round. Her challenge to you is to be the first to correctly identify the site pictured above for the right to host whenonge #5. Good luck!

14 comments:

Shawn Graham said...

Well. Aren't I crap! I've been hunting for an hour... from the landscape, I'm thinking somewhere/when in the Aegean...

Dorothy King said...

We are stumped too ... I thought originally Hellenistic foundation in Turkey for some reason ... assume the temples and theatre etc are in the unexcavated majority of the site.

Feeling pretty stupid, and thinking of resigning as an archaeologist ...

Dorothy King said...

I now think it's in ancient Syria.

Paul Zimmerman said...

For no particular reason, my first thought was Tiwanaku.

It ain't, but now I know how I'll be spending my evening.

Shawn Graham said...

What are some strategies for searching? I've been trying to match the geology/vegetation/soil colour to tiles on the map, then zooming in, followed by some intense googling of the region. The area around Tripiti in Crete seemed a good match, but alas...

Jason Ur said...

That's Mohenjo Daro, ca. 2600-1900 BC.

Heather said...

Congratulations to Jason Ur! Mohenjo Daro is correct. Jason gets to host When on Google Earth #5.

Heather

Shawn Graham said...

Ah! Well done! I'm finding that my Romanist/Mediterraneanist point-of-view is really putting the blinkers on my Google Earth Scouring...

Jason Ur said...

Fantastic, I'm busily searching the world for our next mystery location. I don't have my own blog, so no. 5 will also be posted right here, in a day or so...

Dorothy King said...

Hmmmm. I'm really skeptical about the dates of all those Indus Valley sites. Bah, humbug.

Paul Zimmerman said...

Mohenjo Daro? [Shakes head and buries face in shame.]

Chuck Jones said...

I'm sure Jason will shame us all!

Shawn Graham said...

I'm looking forward to #5...

In the meantime, if you're looking for a meta-game played on top of the regular internet, you might give Pmog a try... www.pmog.com

Chuck Jones said...

WhenonGE 5 is at http://ancientworldbloggers.blogspot.com/2009/02/when-on-google-earth-no-5.html